As some may know, we’ve been on a recruitment drive lately… Now we’ve hired and the successful candidates have started I feel I can share the “other” #job description that I wrote, for the role of #photographer, and was told it needed “refining”.
“We are looking for a talented, caring individual that’s able to show initiative and work well in a small team of fantastic people…
• You must have a warm smiling #face that makes every client feel relaxed in the #studio. Or on the phone… email… social media… etc.
• Be a good #listener and you must feel comfortable in listening to other people’s stories… Having a #shoot can sometimes sound like an hour sat in the #hairdressers
• You must be prepared to know everything… from what happened in Eastenders last night to the current economic climate, politics as well as what the weather is due to do next week. It’s also quite helpful to know know who Peppa Pig, Elsa, Anna, Captain America, and Sponge Bob are and know every single song in Moana.
• You will preferably have a little bit of quirkiness… You must be able to style everything from 3 day old #baby’s through to 95 yr old #grandparents. Oh, and don’t forget their #pets.
• Versatility is good. Your diary will change on an hourly basis from a #pregnant couple, to a cross dressing #makeover, to a scared #Boudoir who has lost at least 2 stone.
• #Empathy is a must however a strong heart has to be worn at all times, especially with those who have a terminally #ill #family member or have had multiple pregnancies being able to bring their beautiful rainbow #baby out into the world, ready to capture memories on #camera.
• Be prepared to see a lot of skin. Bare skin.
• The ability to perform acrobatic style #poses is not necessary, however the ability to create flattering stances that client’s can copy and feel comfortable in is an absolute must
• Possessing the skills required to rapidly keep a large group of people’s attention, including at least 3 #children at any one time (this includes a tantrumming two year old) to all look in the same direction at the same time
• You must be able to shoot as if the #client was going to see every single image. Most won’t remember what #film was like, but if you do, we want you to shoot like that. If you don’t, then research time before digital and be ready to shoot 30 ready-to-sell images
• Having said that, #digital knowledge is a must including post production, uploading to suppliers and #social media.
• A realistic mindset about #body image… A stylus is there to help production and must not be used as a “magic wand” to warp people into Barbie or Ken
• You must be prepared to accept, and inform others, that magic wands aren’t real… However positive scepticism about Harry Potter, Game of Thrones or Disney is encouraged amongst team members and clients.
• Be a Time Lord (Doctor Who is also acceptable when discussing #positive #scepticism). You need to encourage the family to forget the fight they had in the car on the way to the studio, remind the 50 year old Boudoir that age doesn’t matter and calm the first time #newborn parents down when they think they’re newborn is over/under sleeping.
• Being able to lace a corset up in less than 60 seconds is also a skill that will need refining.
• You must must be confident in your cleaning… Washing up in 60 seconds is a much desired skill and this includes tea cups, saucers, #cake smashes, “accidents” on the studio floor and feathers (from feather boas)
• You must be able to make an amazing cup of tea. Or coffee. Or juice. Or water. Or afternoon tea. You get the idea.
• (Don’t forget the biscuits for the clients and “Cake Friday” for the team)
• Must be comfortable entering #public places on the way home from work, with unknown substances on your clothing, including baby dribble (or worse) and cake left over from your smash & splash #photoshoot
• #Laughter is something you can expect to engage in for a large part of your working day.
• Prepared to be hugged. Not always before meeting the client but normally during a shoot, after the viewing and when they collect their photos. That’s three #hugs. Per client. Just prepare to be hugged.
• You will leave work most days feeling hot and sweaty but knowing you’ve created a stunning #portfolio of #images that a #client will cherish for years to come.
These skills are also, just as, important:
• Know how a #colour wheel works and reflect this in your work
• Given just a #light and a stool (camera’s are compulsory), you can create something amazing.
• Value your own time, #skill and #expertise and be able to explain the difference between a #photo taken by phone and by a professional #camera, on a manual setting when asked, in a polite but firm manner.
If this is you, then please click on the link, check you have the compulsory experience and send us your CV.”